On this page:


Undergraduates will automatically be assigned on-campus housing and will receive information from Yale College. Newly-admitted graduate students will receive an email directing them to an online application for on-campus housing, which should be completed immediately by those who wish to live in an on-campus dormitory. Oncampus housing for graduate and professional students is limited and the demand always exceeds the supply.

Locating Off-Campus Housing

New Haven is a college town, and there are a lot of offcampus housing options for students. Residential areas surround Yale and the center of New Haven, making it relatively easy to find convenient rental properties. You will find quite a few apartment buildings, and many private homes that have been divided up into distinct apartment units each with its own kitchen and bath. You will most likely be arriving when many new students are also looking for housing, so it can be quite competative. Be prepared to make a decision quickly if you see accommodations you like. Also, don’t worry about whether or not you will find housing, you will. Everyone does. Do your homework, be patient and postive and you’ll soon be moving into your new place!


Many of Yale’s students and scholars live in one of the four following New Haven neighborhoods: Science Hill/East Rock/Orange St; Central/Downtown; Wooster Square; or Westville. Visit the Yale University Graduate Housing Web site to get a neighborhood map and link to the Yale transit information. Most students without cars live conveniently near the Yale shuttle route and/or within the boundaries of the night minibus service.

Science Hill/East Rock/Orange Street — Referred to as Grad Haven because of the high percentage of graduate students who live there. The apartments and houses in this neighborhood are usually quite nice (a number of faculty members also live in this area). Many of the apartments are in multi-family homes. There are also several larger apartment buildings that have good turnover from year to year. This neighborhood has several local grocers, pizzerias, bars and coffee shops and is on the Yale Shuttle bus line. One section of State Street has a number of interesting shops, cafes, and nightspots. The East Rock/Orange Street neighborhood is roughly bordered by Trumbull and Cold Spring Streets and Prospect and State Streets. [Learn more about this neighborhood.]

Central/Downtown — As its name implies, this neighborhood is in the heart of New Haven. Close to stores, restaurants and entertainment, this neighborhood is popular with students and scholars because of its close proximity to both the Medical School and Yale’s main campus. Streets in the downtown area include Chapel, Broadway, High, Park, York and Howe. [Learn more about this neighborhood.]

Wooster Square — This area is a compact neighborhood east of Yale, within walking distance of the main part of campus. At the center of the neighborhood is small, but delightful Wooster Square Park. Court Street and Hughes Place, which run off the park, are two of the most charming streets in New Haven. This neighborhood includes Wooster Street, which is New Haven’s Little Italy and the home of two famous pizza restaurants, Sally’s and Pepe’s. Wooster Square is bordered by St John and Water streets and Olive and Chestnut streets. [Learn more about this neighborhood.]

Westville — Home of the Yale Bowl and the Yale Golf Course. This neighborhood is about 15 minutes from campus by city bus ($1.25/one way) or car. Westville is more residential than the other neighborhoods and tends to be a little less expensive. [Learn more about this neighborhood.]

Beyond New Haven — In addition to the popular New Haven neighborhoods, some students and scholars make the surrounding cities of Hamden, Woodbridge, North Haven, Branford, East Haven, or West Haven their home.

Searching for Housing

Before your search begins, do your homework concerning things like rights and responsibilities, what to look for, and the legal considerations for leases and security deposits. There are many excellent Web sites referenced in the right hand column of this Web site where you can find this information including apartment hunting tips, advice on packing and moving, and much more. Be sure and download or create your own apartment inspection checklist prior to inspecting properties. Once you are are prepared with your checklist, have decided the neighborhood(s) you wish to focus on, and how much you are able to spend, you are ready to begin your search. The three most popular sources for locating housing are the Yale Off-Campus Housing database, the YaleInternational Yahoogroup and Craigslist. There are many other ways to find apartments, however, including walking the streets of the neighborhood(s) where you plan to live and looking for “Apt. for Rent” signs.

What to Expect

Apartments are generally rented unfurnished, and should always include a working refrigerator, sink and stove in the kitchen area, and a bathroom with toilet, sink and tub or shower. With some persistence, it is possible to find a furnished apartment, but you should expect to pay a higher rent. Utilities - heat and hot water, electricity, and gas are usually separate unless utilities included is specified. When considering an apartment where the utilities are not included, you should ask whether the heating is gas or electric. Electric heating can be much more expensive. Either way, you should inquire as to the cost of a typical winter heating bill, so you can budget for the cost of utilities. If the heat is included in the rent, you should inquire about whether or not you will have your own thermostat, and if not, who controls it. Telephone and cable TV are almost always separate. It is necessary to call the companies directly and activate your own utilities prior to moving in. If you don’t, even though you will most likely initially have electric and gas, after the ‘grace period’ (generally a week to ten days), your utilities will turn off automatically and a reactivation fee will be charged. Refer to the section on Utilities for more infomation.

Discrimination because of race, color, ethnicity, and sexual preference is strictly against the law. It is also illegal to refuse an application from a family with children; the sole exception is for housing which has three or fewer separate apartments where the landlord resides. Report any difficulties to the Yale Housing Office – 432-9756.


As a general guideline, for a standard (not luxury) property, you can expect to pay at least $750 to $1100 per month for a one-bedroom apartment, and a minimum of $500 to $600 per month for a room in a shared apartment. In addition to the first month’s rent, you will also need to put down a security deposit, which is normally equal to one to (maximum) two months rent. That means that once you have decided on your new place, be prepared to pay a total of two to three months rent before you move in. Provided that you leave the apartment or room in a clean and undamaged condition, the landlord will return the security deposit after you have moved out. Be sure and read the section on Your Security Deposit.

If you find something you really like, and want to make sure that it is not taken by someone else, ask if you can hold the space by putting down a deposit - normally $100.00 or more (non-refundable). A deposit is normally requested to hold an apartment until credit checks and/or employment verification can be completed. If you rent through a realtor, they often request an application fee (generally less than $50), but do not collect any fees for their services from the tenant, only from the landlord.

Never carry large amounts of cash, but use personal checks, money orders, or traveler’s checks for deposits or payments. A money order can be purchased at banks or an official U.S. Post Office for a small fee.

Signing a Lease

Never sign a lease on a property you have not seen in person. A lease is a legally binding housing contract, normally spanning a 12 month period. There is no easy way to legally break a lease in Connecticut, so before you sign, read everything carefully and understand all of its obligations, and make sure that any special stipulations you require, such as permission to have a pet, or permission to sublet in the summer be stated in the lease. Landlords are not bound by law to agree to subletting, and some will not allow it at all. Keep a signed copy for your own records. Never rely on verbal agreements alone. Always make sure you have everything in writing. If you have questions about a lease, check with the OISS before you sign it. If you have a disagreement with your landlord, it is very important that you never violate your lease by ceasing payment on your rent, or the circumstances, you will be liable for the months you have not paid as well as the time your apartment sits vacant before it is rented again. Should you have any legal questions or disputes concerning leases or housing issues, please refer to this Web site.

The Yale Off-Campus Housing Office maintains a Complaint/ Compliment Book that tenants can use to comment on their landlords (landlords are also given a chance to respond). If you have any nagging feelings about a prospective landlord, you might want to check the Book before signing the lease to see if any former tenants have had troubles with him or her. If there is a history of complaints, you may want to reconsider renting from that landlord. Never sign a lease with a landlord you feel uncomfortable with, even if you like the place.

Your Security Deposit

A security deposit (equal to one or maximum two month’s rent) is almost always required, and will be held in an escrow account. As required by law, this amount will be returned by the landlord, with interest, in whole within 30 days of vacating the premises as long as there is no damage to the apartment or room beyond normal wear and tear. Prior to moving in, it is a good idea to carefully inspect the apartment for damage or wear. Take detailed photographs and clearly note any questionable conditions on the lease before you sign.

To help ensure the return of your security deposit, when you vacate the apartment, according to CT law, you must be sure and leave the apartment cleaned and in good condition, return the keys and in writing provide the landlord with a forwarding address where the check is to be mailed. Additionally, it is a good idea to send the landlord a letter in the mail (certified, return receipt requested), which states that you have returned the keys on the date you vacated and again says where you expect your deposit check to be sent. Keep copies of everything in the unlikely case of any disputes. See Housing Dispute Resources for more information.


When the person renting the room or apartment (normally the person named in the lease) in turn rents the unit to another person, in almost all cases, the written permission of the landlord is needed. This arrangement is called subletting. Landlords are not required by law to allow subletting, so if you plan to do so, be sure and ask about the possibility before you rent, and put the permission in the lease. Subletting must always be carefully investigated before agreeing to it either as a renter or subletter. Click here for a sample sublease contract.

Property Insurance

Most people’s belongings are worth more than they think. If you are renting an apartment or house, the landlord’s insurance only covers the building, not the contents inside the building. Property/Renter’s insurance can be purchased at reasonable cost to cover your belongings against theft, fire or water damage. This insurance can also help protect you in case of a liability lawsuit against you. Without liability coverage you could be held responsible for injury to another person or for damage to another person’s property if an incident occurred within your rented residence. Be sure and shop around and compare insurance policy premiums before you choose a company, as prices can vary widely. Also don’t assume automatic coverage of your jewelry when you purchase property insurance. Click here for helpful information on this topic.

Short-Term Housing

If you will only be at Yale a week or two, or plan to live here for less than a year, it may not be practical or possible to rent an apartment, since most apartments are rented unfurnished and lease agreements are generally for 12-month periods. It is sometimes possible to negotiate a shorter lease if you agree to begin and end your contract at a time of year that suits the landlord, but it may not be practical if you have to furnish the place as well. Since the cost of a hotel figured over the course of several months would be prohibitive for most, you will need to work towards finding a sublet or affordable rooming situation for any short-term stay. Unfortunately there is no clear answer to the question of housing for a short-term stay, but with determination, you will find something. Start by searching for sublets and shares. You can sometimes successfully find short-term arrangements by browsing the Yale Off-Campus Housing database, or searching the postings on online listings, such as Craigslist and the Yale International Yahoogroup. Some at Yale have been successful negotiating affordable monthly rates with local area bed & breakfast establishments In addition, you can explore the following:

Networking — One of the best ways to find reasonable short-term housing is by networking. You could start by asking around your department, and inquiring at the OISS about subletting and apartment shares.

Notice Boards — Check the notice boards at the OISS, in local coffee houses, and in your department and around campus. Students often seek roommates or advertise sublets via notice boards.

Carriage House at the Clarion Hotel — 2260 Whitney Avenue, Hamden, 288-3831. One-room furnished efficiency with daily maid service, microware and fridge, and use of pool. Ten minute drive to Yale. www.schafferhotels.com/carriagehouse.html

Interim Quarters 878-8404 or cell 804-5453. Luxury furnished housing for one month or more. www.InterimQuarters.com; E-mail: intrmqrtrs@aol.com

Marriott Residence Inn — 3 Long Wharf Drive, 777- 5337 or 62 Rowe Ave, Milford, 283-2100. www.residenceinn.com Luxury suites with separate living areas and fully equipped kitchens (refrigerator, cook-top ranges, some ovens, cooking utensils, flatware, dishes). Included also: cable TV, iron/ironing board and daily housekeeping and pool. Free breakfast buffet daily and evening social hour with light food.

Temporary Accommodations

If you will be arriving in New Haven to look for off-campus housing or before you can move into your University residence, you may need temporary accommodations. Since there are no youth hostels or student-oriented lodgings, you should investigate hotel or bed and breakfast options. Prices range from approximately $40 to over $200 per night. You may get a lower rate if you identify yourself as a Yale student. If you plan a stay of a week or more, some establishments may give you a weekly or monthly discount as well.


Practical Matters

Related Links




If you need to consider schools when apartment hunting, go to:


Most landlords do not allow pets, so make sure permission is included in your lease. Go to rentwithpets.org for tips on finding a pet-friendly home.

Dog-friendly Apartments in New Haven:

Strouse Adler Building
78 Olive Street

900 Chapel Street Building

Housing Resources

Yale Housing

Graduate Dorm Office
420 Temple Street

Graduate Apartments Office
420 Temple Street

[map this address]


Off-Campus Housing

155 Whitney Avenue
Room 300
Monday - Friday
8:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.

[map this address]

On-line Searchable Database. Listings not available by mail or phone, but you can visit their offi cer in person and print out listings for free.


University Properties

Generally filled by early summer. These properties are owned by Yale and managed by outside companies (who may have other properties for rent, not owned by Yale).

Elm Campus Partners
1140 Chapel Street
Suite 201

[map this address]


YaleInternational Yahoo group

An email group where you’ll find numerous shares and long and short-term housing.

To join this list, and send, receive and view messages, send a blank email to YaleInternational-

Other Listings


Realtors are professionals who help people find housing, including homes, condominiums, townhouses or apartments for sale or rent. While you may occasionally encounter an application fee, landlords, not prospective tenants pay the realtor’s fees. Realtors are good for showing properties in multiple neighborhoods.

Hadley Inc.
37-39 Trumbull Street
Ask for Mr. Hadelman.

Pearce Co. Realty
32 Whitney Avenue
Specializes in home, townhouse and condominium sales but some rentals too.
Web site

Ross Realty
12 Trumbull Street

Seabury Hill Realtors
258 Church Street

Vacancy Busters
780 State Street
Web site


Housing ads are found in the Classifieds section

More Resources

living in new haven

From the Info New Haven Web site

PDF Documents

Yale Property Insurance