← Back to FAQ Categories

Nondegree Students Questions and Answers

What type of financial aid is available?

Non federal aid is available to those who are credit worthy or have access to credit-worthy co-borrowers.

While gift aid from Yale College is not available to nondegree students, we would encourage you to pursue private grants and scholarships from other organizations, such as your parents’ employer, civic organizations, foundations, etc.

Students admitted for the 2013–2014 Academic Year will be eligible to borrow the Yale Student loan based on the overall cost of attendance (COA), not to exceed $5,000 per semester.

Does my eligibility for aid change if I need nondegree courses in order to gain acceptance in a program leading to a degree or certificate?

If you can provide documentation showing that the courses you are taking are required for enrollment in a program leading to a degree or certificate, you may be eligible to borrow through the Federal Direct Loan program. Eligibility is limited to one 12 month period and the maximum loan amount is $5,500. You must also be enrolled in a least two Yale courses in either the fall or spring term in order to be considered for the loan. If you believe that you meet these conditions, you should obtain a letter from the graduate or professional school you plan to attend, certifying that the coursework is necessary for acceptance into proposed program of study. An alternative source of documentation is a copy of the program brochure or catalog stating which courses are required and a copy of your academic transcripts.

Students who are considered independent by federal criteria (not required to supply parent information on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid) may have extended eligibility under the Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loan program.

The parents of dependent students who have good credit histories may elect to borrow through the Federal PLUS Loan program. The maximum amount a parent can borrow is the cost of attendance as determined by Student Financial Services, less other financial aid.

If I can show that I need the courses to gain acceptance in a program leading to a degree or certificate, how do I apply for financial aid?

The following forms are required for financial aid consideration. Additional information may be required once we begin reviewing your file:

  • Free Application for Federal Student (FAFSA)
  • Nondegree Financial aid Application
  • Signed copies of your and your parents 2012 tax returns and W2 form(s). If you are independent based on federal criteria, we will waive the requirement for your parents’ tax return.

Is there anything I need to do once my aid has been processed?

The primary thing you need to do once you receive your financial aid funds is to keep Student Financial Services informed of any changes in your enrollment status from what you listed on the Nondegree Student Financial Aid Application.

Whom can I contact for further assistance?

You should contact Student Financial Services with questions about your financial aid, financing options, or your student account. Go to the Contact Information page for specific details.

← Back to FAQ Categories