← Back to FAQ Categories

The 1098-T Tax Form Tuition Statement

What is a 1098-T form and who should get one?

The Taxpayer Relief Act of 1997 requires that all educational institutions furnish an annual statement (form 1098-T) detailing tuition and related expenses to students who were in attendance for any of the three terms in a calendar year and are U.S. citizens or permanent residents.

To whom are forms 1098-T sent?

Forms 1098-T are automatically sent to students who 1) are citizens or permanent residents of the U.S., and 2) who were enrolled for at least one of the three terms (spring, summer or fall) within the calendar year, and 3) who had a status associated with a tuition charge. This includes the following categories of students:

  • In absentia but paying tuition
  • Full-time
  • ½ time
  • Less than ½ time

A form can be created for any student who is not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident and has a social security number by contacting Student Financial Services and requesting one.

When, and to what address is the form 1098-T mailed?

The form is mailed in the final week of January and is sent to the billing address that you have provided to Yale. If there is no billing address on file, then it is mailed to the permanent address in the Registrar’s file. If no permanent address is on file, it is mailed to the mailing address.

How do I request a replacement 1098-T?

If you never received your form, or it was sent to an invalid address, email us at www.yale.edu/sfs/contactusfor a replacement. You must include the student ID number and a corrected address to which we can send the replacement.

In the year in which I graduated, should I receive a 1098-T form?

Yes, you will receive a 1098-T form for any year in which you were enrolled.

Does a student have to file a tax return if he/she received a 1098-T form?

Whether a student has to file a tax return depends on many factors. Please consult a professional tax advisor to determine if filing is necessary.

Why are there no numbers in box 1?

Educational institutions are required to report either the amount of payments received during the calendar year for qualified tuition and related expenses (in box 1) or the amounts billed during the calendar year for qualified tuition and related expenses (in box 2), but not both. Yale University chose to report amounts billed (box 2). Neither of these amounts represent payments made to Yale for qualified tuition expenses.

What does the amount in box 2 represent?

In box 2 Yale reports amounts billed within the calendar year for qualified tuition and fees, not amounts paid, the information most commonly sought to qualify for educationally related credits on federal income tax forms. The transaction dates of those billed amounts determines the year for which they are reported.

How do I get a record of payments I made to Yale?

Your own bank records provide the best method to locate this information. Limited information regarding payments made to Yale can be obtained from statements and the account history you can obtain via the eBill-ePay system on the Student Information System (SIS).

Can I obtain copies of my monthly billing statements?

Student account statements for the most recent sixteen months are available for self-service printing on the web within the e-Bill-ePay system. A complete account history is also available to students on the web at http://www.yale.edu/sis/. Select Student Login: View/Update Records. After logging in, select Billing and Student Accounts from the Main Menu. Then, on the next menu, select Your Account History.

Which charges qualify for tax credit under IRS rules? Where do I take this credit on my tax return?

IRS Publication 970, Tax Benefits for Education, IRS Form 8863, Education Credits and the Federal 1040 instruction booklet provide details on claiming these tax credits. If you have further questions, please consult a professional tax advisor to determine if you are eligible for any education-related tax incentives. The University cannot offer individual tax advice.

Where can I obtain IRS Publication 970 or Form 8863?

These publications may be obtained from the IRS web site at www.irs.ustreas.gov, from any IRS office, or by calling 1-800-TAX-form.

How did you determine the answers in boxes 8 and 9 on Form 1098-T?

Box 8 (“Check if at least half-time student”) is checked if a student's status for either the spring or fall term was at least half time. Since the summer sessions alone do not lead to a degree, summer enrollment alone does not meet the criteria to mark this box.

Box 9 (“Check if a graduate student”) is checked if a student was enrolled in a graduate or professional program during either the spring or fall term.

What about the the 1042-S Tax Form (Foreign Person’s U.S. Source Income Subject to Withholding)? If I am an international student will I receive a 1042S form?

The U.S. Internal Revenue Service requires, in certain cases for non-citizen students, the withholding of tax from scholarships and fellowships awarded to such students. There are several factors that are taken into account by the Government’s formula that the University must use to determine whether withholding is required. The University issues to each foreign student who is subject to the tax a Form 1042-S by March 15 of the following year.

If you need further information about tax matters, please call Daysi Cardona, International Tax Coordinator within the University Tax Department at 432-5597, or Jodie Stewart-Moore at 432-5530. They can also be reached at daysi.cardona@yale.edu and jodie.stewart-moore@yale.edu, respectively.



← Back to FAQ Categories