Application Guidelines for Canadian Citizens

Please note that you will require Adobe Acrobat to view these forms. You can download it here.

Required Forms How to Apply/Where to Send
Yale Financial Aid Application

There is no Institutional Financial Aid Application required at this time. A supplemental application will be sent to matriculated students in May.

2015–2016 CSS Profile Application

Custodial Parents: Apply on line on the College Board's Web site. Yale’s CSS College Code is 3987. Yale receives your Profile data electronically from CSS so you should not send copies or printouts of your application to Yale.

The recommended due date for submitting the CSS Profile has passed. Please submit your CSS Profile as soon as possible.

Noncustodial Parents: The CSS Noncustodial Profile is required if your parents are divorced, separated, or were never married.
When you complete your Profile registration, the College Board will notify you that Yale requires the Noncustodial Profile. You will be sent an e-mail that details the requirement and you will be directed to share this e-mail with your noncustodial parent. This e-mail will contain a link to the Noncustodial Profile website as well as login instructions for your noncustodial parent.

The recommended due date for submitting the CSS Noncustodial Profile has passed. Please submit your CSS Noncustodial Profile as soon as possible.

Completing the CSS Profile

Tax Return and Income Information

The income sections of the Profile contain references to U.S. tax return figures. The following information should assist you in completing the Profile with figures from your Canadian tax return.

  • For parents who are married, be sure to add figures from both Canadian tax returns and list the sums from both returns in the appropriate sections of the Profile.
  • For the number of tax exemptions, you should list the number of people you listed or will list in the Family Member Listing section.
  • For U.S. Adjusted Gross Income, you should use the Total Income from your Canadian return.
  • The breakdown of your total income should correspond to the components of your Canadian tax return (wages/employment income, dividends, interest, net income from business/self-employment income, etc.).
  • Items that only apply to U.S. filers are adjustments to income, education credits, and itemized deductions. You should list zero for these questions.
  • For U.S. federal taxes paid, you should use the Net Federal Tax from your Canadian return. In calculating your eligibility for financial aid, Yale will also consider the provincial or territorial tax paid, but you should not include that amount in the questions asking for federal taxes paid.
  • For income earned from work, you should list the employment and self-employment income listed on the appropriate tax return.
  • For untaxed income or and benefits, list any amounts of income that are not included already in the Total Income.
Parents' tax return(s)

Custodial Parents: Submit signed copies of your parents' 2014 Canadian tax returns to Student Financial Services.

A tax return is required for the initial estimate of your financial aid eligibility. If your parents' 2014 tax returns are not yet available, you should send copies of your parents' 2013 tax returns now, then submit your parents' 2014 tax returns as soon as they are available.

Noncustodial Parents: Your noncustodial parent must send a copy of his/her 2014 tax return directly to Student Financial Services. If your noncustodial parent's 2014 tax return is not yet available, you should send a copy of his/her 2013 tax return now, then submit a copy of the 2014 tax return as soon as it is available.

Mailing Information

Regular Mail Overnight Mail Fax
Yale University
Student Financial Services
PO Box 208288
New Haven, CT 06520-8288
Yale University
Student Financial Services
246 Church Street
New Haven, CT 06510
(203) 777-6100

When submitting financial aid information directly to Yale using the above information, be sure that your name (as the student applicant) and date of birth are listed on the top of each document