We apologize, our earlier message was incorrect.
Below are the student coverage changes effective August 1st:
Coverage changes for students enrolled in Yale Health’s Hospitalization/Specialty Coverage are as follows:
- Free generic oral contraceptives at the Yale Health Center Pharmacy
- Free preventive care immunizations at the Yale Health Center
- $50 co-pay for emergency room visits, there continues to be no co-pay at the Yale Health Center’s Acute Care department (55 Lock Street)
- $100 co-pay for surgeries, there continues to be no co-pay for any procedure performed at the Yale Health Center (55 Lock Street)
- $200 co-pay per admission for hospital stays, there continues to be no co-pay for stays in the Yale Health Center’s Inpatient Care unit (55 Lock Street)
- Bariatric surgery and breast reduction are no longer a covered benefit
Coverage changes for students enrolled in Yale Health’s Prescription Plus coverage are as follows (See the Yale Health Drug List for an explanation of tiers and a list of drugs):
- Co-pays for tier 2 drugs change from $25 to $30 per 30-day supply
- Co-pays for tier 3 drugs change from $40 to $45 per 30-day supply
These changes come as the result of recommendations to the Provost’s Office from Yale Health’s Student Coverage Task Force, a committee which was convened in 2008 to review student coverage options and make recommendations for improvements, and includes graduate and undergraduate student representation, international student representation as well as key University leadership, and representatives from Yale Health.
The changes are part of an overall strategy to enhance student coverage in ways that meet your needs and desires while bringing us closer to compliance with Health Care Reform requirements for 2014. All of these changes bring Yale Health’s student coverage closer to compliance with the regulations of Health Care Reform, which is required by 2014; however, the work is not done. The Task Force will continue to meet during the coming academic year, to evaluate the impact of these changes and to make recommendations for additional improvements for academic year 2013-14.
We are excited to continue moving forward towards a fully compliant coverage offering that meets the needs of Yale’s students!
If you have any questions about your coverage, contact Member Services at email@example.com or