|Yale-New Haven Teachers Institute||Home|
CAPTAIN’s general goals reflect those of the Interdistrict Cooperative Grant Program: to enhance student achievement and to bring together diverse groups of young people.
The classroom activities in this unit include the following:
(Recommended for U.S. History and Advanced Placement History, grades 10-12)
- 1. Continuum process: Clarifying students’ values and demonstrating their flexibility to new ideas and their ability to listen to others.
- 2. What is the first thing you notice when you see a new person? An opportunity to bring students’ cultural assumptions to their consciousness.
- 3. What are you? Students are asked to consider what actually makes a culture.
- 4. Exploring racial stereotypes: An exploration and discussion of commonly-held beliefs and misconceptions.
- 5. They are not like us: An exercise that puts the fear of “the other” into a historical perspective.